Ice cream is a special treat. That creamy mouth feel, sweetness that makes your mouth water… You know what I mean right? So when we decide we’re gonna eat low carb or keto, this question is gonna come up…
Can I Eat Ice Cream On The Keto Diet?
You can if it’s Keto ice cream! And if you’re an ice cream fan like me, then I’ve got good news for you. The Keto ice cream recipe that I’m about to share with you is AMAZING!
I adapted this ice cream a while back from another recipe and when I made it for the first time I was like OMG…. It’s so good. It’s just like real ice cream except you have to leave it out for fifteen minutes to soften a bit, otherwise you might break something trying to dish it up. 🙂
But why was I making Keto ice cream?…
Well at the time it seemed like every second person I talked to was on the Keto diet and I’d been thinking about trying the Keto diet for ages so I decided to give it a go.
Now to be honest keto didn’t do much for me but we’re all different, and whether you’re doing Keto or not, if you’re going to eat ice cream this is a much better choice than any of the stuff you’ll buy in the shops.
Home made so you know what’s in it…
NO chemicals or additives!
No sugar (unless you decide to add it and you can choose a healthier version)…
A couple of tips before you get started…
I used Healtheries Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Baking Bits for this recipe. They’re available in most supermarkets and sweetened with Stevia.
Alternatively grab some sugar free chocolate from Iherb. I really like Iherb as they have a huge variety of products we don’t find here in New Zealand, their prices are good and they ship worldwide.
➡ Avoid any sugar free products with Aspartame in them. Aspartame is nasty stuff!
Next, make sure you use free range eggs, preferably organic or from someone who has chooks at home. It’s not advisable to use commercial cage or barn raised eggs in recipes that aren’t cooked because eggs from these unhealthy conditions are more likely to contain bacteria that may cause food poisoning.
That’s it. Let’s do this!
Here’s the recipe…
Wild Orange & Chocolate Chip Keto Ice Cream
- 4 Large eggs Free range/organic
- 1/4 cup Powdered erythritol or erythritol/stevia blend eg Swerve or Natvia
- 1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
- 1.5 cups Pure cream
- 1/3 cup Sugar free chocolate chips or chocolate pieces Unsweetened or sweetened with Stevia
- 12 drops doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil
- Separate the eggs between two bowls.
- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat them with a mixer until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add the Erythritol and beat for another minute.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream until peaks form.
- In a third bowl, whisk the yolks.
- Chop the chocolate or chocolate chips into small pieces in a blender or grate.
- Fold in the egg whites into the whipped cream (do not stir).
- Fold in the egg yolk mixture.
- Add the chocolate and 12 drops of Wild Orange essential oil
- Fold until well combined
- Pour the mixture into a freezer-friendly container and freeze until firm.
- Remove from the freezer and allow to soften for 15 minutes before serving. Top with berries and/or nuts if wanted.
Don’t Like Orange & Chocolate? Try Another Variation!
You so don’t have to limit yourself to the orange and chocolate flavor for this ice cream. Mix it up. This is the beauty of using the essential oils for flavoring – you have so many options!
Lavender (go easy on the oil as it has a strong flavor!), Citrus Bliss (that’s all the citrus oils plus vanilla – yum!), any of the citrus oils such as Lime, Lemon, Grapefruit, Bergamot or Green Mandarin, or even herbs such as Rosemary (could be interesting…), Cardamom, Peppermint, and more.
And when it comes to the sweetener, if you’re not concerned about carbs, swap out the erythritol for date sugar or coconut sugar, or your sweetener of choice.
Let me know what variations you try in the comments below! 🙂